So it’s finally here. The big book. This was going to be quite hard as I had to start sequencing my pictures into a suitable order that would make sense (to me and the audience as well as they are equally as important.) Having a right sequence is the key to making everything flow well in a nice narrative, but I had to think about the pictures as well.
So to start things off then, I had to look through my final pictures to get a sense of what pictures were going to work where. To make things easier for me, I printed off all of my pictures small so that I could have physical copies of them to work with. I started off my laying them individually onto a table.
By doing this I was able to get a better sense of what the pictures were going to look like; when doing it on a screen it’s harder to judge what it would be like. On the table, I was able to move everything around until I was happy with everything.
I was happy with everything, as I wanted in the end; one thing I did make sure was that in multiple pictures there was white sheets, so to separate them I went with the order of colour-white for all the pictures.
Now that was sorted, it was actually making my book to hold my photos. I decided that for this I was going to create a Japanese Stab Bound Book; I thought that a professional book would look out-of-place as this book was supposed to be somewhat personal to those that had a vested interest in the market itself. This took a while for me to complete, but eventually I had it all complete.
However, I felt that having this book by itself was lacking though. I wanted the book to be more involving, especially with it being based on the market.
So when I spoke to Mr Sexton, I asked if he had a spare ledger book available, and luckily he did have an old book he used to use. This I felt was the perfect way in which I could present my book in a relatable way, which the audience could relate, both to.
However, I had to think of a way to show my book this way. And it was only thinking of Alec Soth’s Broken Manual that I decided on what I was going to do. With my pictures being based on the stalls being covered, I thought it would be fitting to have the book placed inside the ledgers book. To do this, I would cut out the middle of some of the pages in the ledger book just to the point that my book would fit in snugly.
This was quite hard, as when cutting through the pages, when I eventually go to the right depth, I realised that the pages were quite rough and uneven. This meant that I had to spend my time carefully smoothing out all the edges so that it wouldn’t be rough when taking the book out. I was contemplating covering the book in a fabric that was like what was on the stalls, but I decided that it seemed too tacky in the end.
Finally, to give the book a more authentic feel overall; in the first couple of pages I filled it out with sales of items. This was to show the sales stalls go through and how it’s recorded.
On a narrative level, it would show that the stalls are doing well, then the pictures would give the idea of the 50-50 choice of what could happen, and the end of the book with blank pages is there to let the audience decide what should happen for the future.
Overall I was really pleased with my photobook, as everything fitted well together. The narrative is easy to understand (if you read my blog, otherwise it may be slightly confusing possibly.) I also like my presentation method, as it makes everything fit in together really well.